Two earthquakes in 1303 and 1323 completely destroyed the entire Lighthouse.
About 1480 A.D, the Mameluke Sultan Al-Ashraf Qaitbay fortified the place as part of his coastal defensive edifices against the Turks, who were threatening Egypt at that time. He built the castle and placed a Mosque inside it.
Mohammed Ali in 1805 renovated the old Citadel, restoring and repairing its outer ramparts, and he provided the stronghold with the most modern weapons of the period, particularly the littoral cannons.
photography by Janice
Janice found these young women playing with their mobile phones.